2015 70th Anniversary Timeline
The year 2015 marked the 70th anniversary of the creation of the Saskatchewan Archives. Click on each heading below to see original photographs & documents and to learn more about the history of the Archives, or
This virtual exhibit highlights some of the major events
in the history and development of the province's archival repository.
click on the 1st heading & then navigate through the timeline using the 'Next' and 'Previous' tools at the bottom of each page.
Click on individual images for more information about that image.
- The 1920 Preservation of Public Documents Act first provincial act specifically related to the management of government records.
- The Archives Act, 1945 established the Saskatchewan Archives.
- George W. Simpson, first Provincial Archivist and other "firsts".
- The Saskatchewan Archives began using microfilm in 1946.
- Saskatchewan History magazine founded in 1947.
- The Murray Memorial Library office in Saskatoon opened in 1956.
- New privacy legislation in 1990s and 2000s resulted in a new position related to access and privacy.